Since it was launched in 2004, the Barclays Spaces for Sports (BS4S) programme has delivered 200 sustainable sports sites, benefitting more than half a million people in disadvantaged communities across the UK.
Barclays and the Football Foundation have invested over £67million in the programme, with Barclays contribution of £37m representing the single biggest investment in community sport by a private company in the UK. 200 sites have been created supporting more than 40 different sports, ranging from cheerleading to football to cricket to baseball. In addition to these 200 sites, BS4S now has 11 overseas projects in countries including South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Spain, India and China.
In the UK:
- There are an estimated 53,000 users per week across the 200 sites.
- Female usage of the sites has increased to 20% of total users, around 11,000 per week.
- Around 900 disabled people attend the sites per week.
- There are over 1,400 volunteers at the sites per week.
- 51% of volunteers are under 18.